Monday, September 22, 2008

Day 7 - Monday







Grandma, Iris and I went over to Wichita to see Dad & Genny today. Dad is doing great, as ornery as ever. First, we look for him to come home tomorrow. This morning the physical therapist gal came in to "evaluate" dad. Of course, they are used to people who are totally new to the concept of wheelchairs, etc. So when dad had moved from bed to wheelchair, wheelchair to bed, bed to port-a-potty, port-a-potty to bed and also moved himself around in the bed so he could set up and massage his stump, etc., the PHYSICAL THERAPIST SAID SHE DIDN'T SEE ANY REASON HE WOULD NEED "IN HOUSE" THERAPY. YEAH!!!!! So as far as I know, home health care will come into the house a couple of times each day and he'll receive physical therapy 2-3 times/week. I'm not sure if the physical therapy will be @ home or if he'll need to go to the clinic, medical center, or somewhere to get that, but he will not have to stay in the hospital or go to a nursing home for therapy. YEAH AGAIN!!! Don't know how long either of these processes will last, but we are all of the thinking that he will only need it for a few weeks. We'll see about that later I guess. He is definitely ready to come home. They re-wrapped his stump today. Dad wasn't sure he was going to watch the process, but he did and said it was real clean and neat. He said they left extra skin and folded it up and it looks to be cinged (sp?) together. He said it's real neat and nice looking, doesn't look nasty @ all. Now, I'm not sure I mentioned the gash on the back of his right knee, but from the accident there was a big gash on the back of his knee and when he got into his first surgery they had to open up the front of his knee to see how extensive the damage was. Thank goodness there wasn't any front damage to his knee, he's broke that knee cap several times b4, but it all looked good so he does have staples and the back side did bleed when they were changing the dressing, but it's ok. We are so thankful this has not been a worse injury than it was. He is an awesome man w/ a great outlook, as a matter of fact, he was telling about several things he will be able to do now that he doesn't have that part of his leg. Throughout my life I've heard stories about how he's overcome so much w/ the polio and all. I've never known him to NOT be able to do things, he may have had to accomplish them in a different way, but he's unstoppable. To witness him has been totally amazing to me. HE'S ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! I believe God brought him thru this entire ordeal, I know we've seen him experience miracle after miracle. Seriously all, after the first surgery we were told he would be here @ least a week, that is coming from a dr. who has performed this surgery and seen this type of thing several times. To be home a week after this happened is only the work of God and my Dad's attitude. I've learned so much thru all of this. I'll update you tomorrow after I know EXACTLY what is going on. Thank you all so much for your prayers, thoughts, emails, phone calls, cards and visits, it's nice to know you all care. Continued Prayers.......

No comments: