Thursday, September 18, 2008

Stacy's 1st Post

FROM THE BEGINNING.....THE WAY I WAS TOLD BY DAD.......he was driving his trike on K-61 overpass, over the railroad tracks by the prison. He hit a bump in the road and his right leg flew off the trike and got caught in the back wheel. He knew he couldn't stay in the lane of traffic so he pulled his foot out of the wheel, saw it dangling and made his way over to the center concrete median. Family and Friends....this is not a pretty picture, but miracle's do happen and dad never left his bike.....he was sitting on it the entire time. Some people drove by as he tried to get their attention to help him.......are they ignorant or simply innocent of not noticing? In their defense they were innocent.....in my opinion, they are ignorant. It was his right leg that was exposed to traffic, there was blood everywhere, It's hard for me to believe that someone didn't notice......Thank God a county worker by the name of Jay heard dad holler "STOP" and he stopped and called 911 for him. Do you know what? Jay used to work @ Eaton and dad recognized him. God Bless You Jay for stopping to help our dad. I understand there was another person w/Jay, but I'm sorry I have not found out who you are. Thank You also! Dad was then taken by ambulance to the helipad @ the hospital here in Hutch. He was flown by LifeTeam, LifeWatch, whatever it is called to Via Christi St. Francis in Wichita. Genny received the phone call when dad was in the ambulance on his way to the helicopter. Genny called me and I picked her up, as well as Grandma Rice and Aunt Iris. May I just add, If Aunt Iris wouldn't have been here I think this would be a lot harder on Grandma. I'm so thankful to the Lord for working all this out ahead of time. OK, on with it.....as soon as dad arrived to the hospital they prepped him for surgery.....that's when we arrived. I've never experienced such a long drive to Wichita and I've been over there 100's of times. We waited in the surgery waiting for about 2 hours when the surgeon came to update us. Dad's right ankle was all but ripped off from the leg. The wound was 20 cm's from inside around the front to the outside and 5 cm's wide (top to bottom). The tendons were torn from the shin bone and the ligaments, muscle and nerves were all but gone. His foot was hanging on by a blood vessel and a piece of muscle. They re-attached everything in the surgery, but the blood flow was minimal. They would go in on Thursday to see if the flow is any better, but at that point there was a 50/50 chance they would have to amputate his foot right at the shin area. Wednesday morning......the doctors came in and told Genny they are sure they will have to amputate in the surgery today (Thursday). The doctor told dad. That's where we are at, at this point. I know the doctors are supposed to be in this morning to talk to them and let them know what time surgery is going to be. I will try to post just as soon as I know anything. Dad needs our prayers please please please stop and pray for him.....miracles do happen, we've seen a lot of them happen for him in the last 48 hours.....we can keep expecting more, it's not an unreasonable expectation! I also know that if they have to amputate dad will adjust, it will take time, but he will. We all know him, he'll figure it out! Until later.......

6 comments:

totoluvsbears said...

Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. If you need anything let us know. Mike and Darnell

Anonymous said...

Oh, Stacy! I am so sorry! I just heard when I came into work, about your dad! You have been with me through so many different situations...you know I will be with you too!! I will pray and do whatever I can for each and every one of you. If you need anything, please let me know! I love you and my thoughts are with you all! Keep us posted!

KE said...

Stacy,
You are in my thoughts and prayers in Colorado! I'm so sorry! But you are right -- your dad will make it through whatever it is! The blog is a great idea! Keep us posted! Take care and give everyone a hug from us here! Love ya! Kim and kids!

Anonymous said...

Stacy-Let me tell you first hand I know how long that trip can be, as we rushed to the same hospital the end of May for my dad! He is in the best care. All of our thoughts and prayers are with you and all your family. Please, anything that you need, just let us know. We'll be in touch.
All our love-

Anonymous said...

Stacy, my heart is going out to you and your family right now, I am so sorry for what has happened to your Dad. Please know that you are all in my prayers and I am here for you, please let me know if I can do anything to help out during this time! I have always believed in miracles and I believe your Dad experienced one!! LOVE AND PRAYERS...Jessica

kimmie said...

My dad is a strong man and I know that he will pull through this like a champ as he has pulled through many things in his life like a champ,I want to thank everyone right now for helping my dad through this he really deserves it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate that this happened,I Love You Daddy